From Le nom qui efface la couleur
<Thumbelina series> is personal project for Hans Christian Andersen’s classic fairy tale ‘Thumbelina’ using Korean folk painting ‘Minhwa민화’ style.
The objective of <Thumbelina series> is combine East and West, old and new.
Characteristic of Minhwa is blank space and flat figures. For <Thumbelina series> project, such features were illustrated and digitized. Minhwa’s figures(such as rock, water, fish, flower, Etc)are mythical symbol of wishing good luck, happiness and long life. This figures were used to illustrate the fairy tale story.
1. Balance Inquiry
2. Anonymous Anatomy
3. Not in America
1. INDONESIA. Bali. 1949. In a little village 5 kilometers away from Ubud lives the Guru (teacher) of the dancers of Ubud. The guru is also a farmer like everyone else. © Henri Cartier-Bresson/Magnum Photos
2. CHINA. Shanghai. December 1948-January 1949. © Henri Cartier-Bresson/Magnum Photos
3. JAPAN. Kyoto. 1978. Gion district. Backstage theatre. © Henri Cartier-Bresson/Magnum Photos
4. INDIA. Uttar Pradesh. Fatehpur Sikri. 1966. © Henri Cartier-Bresson/Magnum Photos
5. BURMA. Yangon (Rangoon). 1948. © Henri Cartier-Bresson/Magnum Photos
6. JAPAN. Tokyo. A farewell service for the late actor Danjuro. 1965. © Henri Cartier-Bresson/Magnum Photos