Jess T. Dugan. Transcendence I, 2005-2010.
Corinne and Travis, 2006.
Ryan and Alex, 2006.
Amy in the rain, 2006.
Fighter (self-portrait), 2006.
In our society, it is assumed that there are only two genders, both of which come with very specific expectations and roles. I aim to challenge that assumption by portraying people whose identity falls outside of these preconceived notions. Transcendence is a collection of portraits within the transgender and gender variant community. These photographs show that there are an endless number of gender identities, specific to each person, while illustrating that gender identity and biological sex are two distinct constructs. More broadly, they call into question societal expectations about gender roles and how these expectations affect everyone, including those who are not a part of the transgender community.
Through sharing individual experiences, this work honestly and openly portrays a community that is often overlooked, fetishized, or misrepresented. It raises a dialogue about the fluidity of gender and the ways in which our current societal structure does not allow for variations outside of the mainstream. In an effort to increase understanding, these images portray issues unique to the transgender community while also highlighting the shared experience of being human.
- endless-scroll likes this
- kobayashii-maru likes this
- mostlycognizant reblogged this from darksilenceinsuburbia
- mostlycognizant likes this
- drawntothe-eyes reblogged this from darksilenceinsuburbia
- whatsagurl2do reblogged this from darksilenceinsuburbia
- lazloyimou reblogged this from darksilenceinsuburbia
- taterbears reblogged this from darksilenceinsuburbia
- underthecrests reblogged this from littlelou08 and added:
- how-odd-is-the-future reblogged this from darksilenceinsuburbia
- oneofakind93 likes this
- sukhpal-singh-95 likes this
- holyrolypoliesbatman reblogged this from thefartsinourstars
- gaayflower likes this
- orionlives reblogged this from darksilenceinsuburbia
- pixierun likes this
- nonviolent-femmes likes this
- darthpod reblogged this from judgemenotyesaints
- judgemenotyesaints likes this
- judgemenotyesaints reblogged this from istealpantiesforliving
- istealpantiesforliving reblogged this from cometinorbit38
- notperfectstillgood likes this
- ongoingdrought reblogged this from cometinorbit38
- ongoingdrought likes this
- enter-prises reblogged this from cometinorbit38
- cometinorbit38 reblogged this from woofwoofaroo
- cometinorbit38 likes this
- nonbinarypunk likes this
- grossdeadboys reblogged this from thefartsinourstars
- todayistomorrowshistory likes this
- possiblycertain likes this
- hereonmyknees likes this
- woofwoofaroo reblogged this from la-amore-dispute
- ghost-girlonthird likes this
- la-amore-dispute reblogged this from dazzlingsnowqueen
- dazzlingsnowqueen reblogged this from trash-gender
- dildosagbag reblogged this from im-a-constant-headache
- zoezeelove likes this
- anon-o-mouse reblogged this from spookysmosh
- littleianthonythings likes this
- cannibaldoctor likes this
- spookysmosh reblogged this from i-am-moonsand
- spookysmosh likes this
- i-am-moonsand reblogged this from im-a-constant-headache
- im-a-constant-headache reblogged this from glitterplaidandeverythingrad
- plutonic-ai reblogged this from trash-gender
- rhatklor likes this
- possumunkki likes this